At Tuesday’s HSBA meeting Jess Shalies (@info) from Just For Redheads gave us an insight into some of the thinking behind her decision to host a national “Red Head Day”, as well as the lessons learned and the direct and indirect benefits that hosting such an event had on her business.
For anyone who is looking to host an event or looking for possible indirect ways to promote their business I recommend you listen to Jess’s talk.
It’s about 16 minutes long, you can listen to it here: Jess Shailes, Just For Redheads, speaking at the HSBA
(It will ask you to open or save the file, you can do whichever suits you).
Some of the things covered in her talk:
Choice of venue
- where to host it, how to get a venue for free
- getting local and national exposure in print and on radio
- how she kept costs to a minimum
Pitfalls and lessons learned
- timing, how much notice is required, what else is happening at the same time
- staffing, you can’t do it alone
- attendance, free tickets have no value
- conflicting goals, getting free venues & other people involved can clash with your goals
- national & local coverage
- direct sales, online and face-to-face
- future sales, email lists
- cross promotion
- ongoing indirect leads
I hope you take the time to have listen, feel free to leave comments!